Creative Commons License
I. Creative Thought
1. Creative Thought in PSU's General Education Program
2. Cultivating Creativity
II. What is a Game?
3. Costikyan's Definition
4. How to Improve a Game
5. Quality of Decision-Making
6. Formal Elements of Games
7. Weaknesses of Definitions
III. Game Analysis for Game Designers
8. Critical Analysis of Games
9. Games as Systems
10. Mechanics, Dynamics, and Aesthetics
11. What Makes a Game "Fun"?
12. Kinds of Fun
13. Kinds of Players
IV. Game Design
14. What is Game Design?
15. The Design Process: Game Ideas
16. Formal Abstract Design Tools
17. The Design Process: Prototyping
18. The Design Process: Playtesting
19. The Design Process: More About Playtesting
20. A Note About Intellectual Property
V. What Students Have to Say
21. Digging Deep Inside the Game of Go Fish
22. A Game to the Core: A “Go Fish” Analysis
23. Getting A Better Understanding of War
24. What is War Good For? Still Nothing, Apparently
25. Important Foundations
The following chapters were written by Plymouth State University students in CMDI-1105.
Creating Games by Cathie LeBlanc is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, except where otherwise noted.